Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

9.11.2011

September 11

I was in college, living in the sorority house, and enjoying every minute of it. I first heard about a plane crash in the kitchen. I was grabbing breakfast on the go to head out to my math class. One of my sisters said there was a plane crash. I'm sure I said something in passing about that being a terrible accident. After my math class, I had been out of the loop for too long. I ran into someone I worked orientation with that said another plane had crashed. He gave me a hug. I passed through the UC and a pile of students were gathered in front of the big tv. I continued down Main Street, which was silent. No music in windows, no cars, just the snippets of reporters as you passed by individual houses. We spent the rest of the day in front of the tv. I remember calling Chrissie and my mom, on a landline phone too. It was the first I had heard of Al-Qaeda. As time progressed, it seemed like every house on Main Street had found an American flag to display.

It was a shock to our psyche. We were seniors, soon to be going out into this world. A world that seemed much scarier than Biochemistry or Accounting II.

Now that I'm a wife and mother, I view September 11 with whole new eyes. The phone calls from the towers or the hijacked planes are difficult to listen to, but also amazing to have that final message recorded.

I think about everyone today, and remember that time with reverance for the fallen, and hope for humanity.

910 S. Main

No comments:

Post a Comment